Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Few Thoughts On Life

Written 2007~
You know, I think a lot....sometimes too much....but lately I've been thinking about the person I am, how others around me are and how they react to me. It's true to say that you can't judge a book by it's cover, and as for me you can't lump me together with other people my age or gender. I've come to understand and accept that I am not like most 20 somethings, though I am not saying they are all alike. However, the majority of people my age I come into contact, whether via internet or in day to day meetings I find are relatively all the same and are afraid to be any different. The word is over used but, "individuality"  is something almost unheard of nowadays....I strongly believe in being the person you are and not pretending to be anything else. And for this reason, others  find that way of thinking to be in between "interesting" and "weird"....seems their not sure  what to think of me. Now I am not saying I care what people think of me, if I did then I would lose all that makes me the person I am. All I am saying is, it's kind of sad that because of my morals, empathy, and compassion I am thought to be the exception and not the rule.
   There is so much I don't understand about the world we live in, like when did it become the thing to do that being considered a "whore" and writing it all over and wearing shirts with that label, was something a person strived for? The word "pimping" is thrown around without the slightest acknowledgement to what the true meaning of the word is. On MySpace these types of things are rampant, and it just seems to be a desperate attempt to degrade yourself especially for females. What ever happened to having class and self respect? Women complain that they are treated badly by men, whether at their job or in relationships...but look at the examples some women set, stripping, wearing close to nothing...constantly making themselves just sex toys for men....It's my understanding that what you put out, is what you will get back. If you don't respect yourself, don't expect others to. Now this is not to say that men have any right to treat women badly. What happened to men who had good intentions and respect for women? Chivalry...where did that go? Double standards are pathetic, I find a man who is considered "the man" because of the number of women he's been with to be nothing more then a whore. ( a name men are all too quickly to use when referring to a woman who does the same thing they do) .....
So yes, here I am a 20 something woman who believes in having self respect, class, morals, compassion, good intentions, respect for others, etc....this is who I am, who I'm proud to be...and anyone can be the same way...just step out of the box, and be yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment